Are you needing some new ideas on how to eat fresh Freedom lettuce? Try out this combination of salty sunflower seeds and tangy french dressing! It is a family-favorite from one of our employees.
- Freedom Foods Lettuce or Spring Mix, washed and torn
- 1/4 c. Roasted Sunflower Seeds (see recipe below)
- 1 Boiled egg, peeled and sliced
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Family French Dressing (see recipe below)
- Optional: grated carrots and chives or onion, chopped
RECIPE: ROASTED SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- 1/4 raw, hulled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 T butter or olive oil
- Salt to taste
Toast sunflower seeds in a skillet over medium-low heat, about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Then stir in butter or oil and continue to toast until seeds begin to darken and take on a roasted hue. Remove from heat, salt to taste.
RECIPE: FAMILY FRENCH DRESSING
This dressing is not your typical French. You will notice it does not contain ketchup as many French dressing recipes usually do. Instead, the celery seed adds a subtle but distinct new flavor.
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1/2-3/4 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- 1 c. canola oil
Place all ingredients except oil into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then slowly add in oil. Store dressing in refrigerator.