Making sure your family gets their daily recommended amounts of fruits and veggies can be difficult. You want your kids to get all the nutrients they need to grow up strong, but serving the same meal over and over again can get boring for you and your taste buds.
Branching out to new vegetables isn’t always easy, though. You choose the same vegetables each week because you’re confident with them. In fact, you likely have favorite recipes, and you know which veggies pair with them perfectly.
We know that eggplant is probably not one of your staple vegetables. Most people tell us they’ve bought an eggplant before with ideas of finding the perfect recipe, but ended up tossing it out after a week of it sitting in the fridge. We can help! Our three simply easy eggplant recipes are sure to become your new family dinner favorites.
Taco Stuffed Eggplant Boats Recipe
This taco stuffed eggplant boat is a fun, new twist on a family favorite that’s perfect for your next Taco Tuesday!
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef, grass feed if possible, or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- A small bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and scoop out pulp, leaving ½-inch shells.
- Line the eggplant on a large baking tray.
- Chop the pulp up and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with the oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until no longer pink. Drain the excess grease.
- Add the chopped eggplant pulp and all the spices, then cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
- Fill the eggplant boats evenly with the meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- Remove from oven and top with avocado, tomatoes, olives, and fresh chopped herbs.
Mini Eggplant Pizza Bites
Pizza is a family favorite in every household! Switch out your normal pizza recipe this week for a bite-sized eggplant pizza. Your kids are sure to get a kick out of their mini meal!
- 1 large eggplant or 2 medium eggplants, sliced into ¼ inch rounds (keep the skins on)
- Sea salt
- Minced garlic or garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup high-quality, no-sugar-added marinara
- 1/3 cup natural, shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper, or spray with avocado oil.
- Arrange eggplant slices on the baking sheets.
- Season eggplant with salt and garlic (if using).
- Spoon marinara sauce in the center of each eggplant slice.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of the marinara sauce.
- Bake the eggplant pizzas for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and scatter the shredded basil on top.
- Season with pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Tired of always bringing the same appetizer to your family gatherings? Change it up with this delicious baba ghanouj recipe! Your friends and family will be blown away by your delicious new dish, and the best part is you can prepare it the night before and let it chill in the fridge!
- 2 1-pound eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Pita bread wedges
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Generously oil a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place eggplant halves, cut them side down, on sheet.
- Roast until eggplant is very soft, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Using a spoon, scoop out pulp from eggplant into strainer set over bowl.
- Let stand 30 minutes, allowing excess liquid to drain from eggplant.
- Transfer eggplant pulp to processor.
- Add 1/4 cup oil, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic; process until almost smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to small bowl.
- Serve with pita wedges.
Eggplants are the perfect vegetable for stepping out of your comfort zone. They’re full of healthy nutrients, and you can easily add them to your family’s favorite recipes. Try one of our three simply easy eggplant recipes at your next family dinner or game night!
If you’re looking for more summer vegetable recipes, you have plenty of options. Download our guide to find your new favorite!
Freedom Foods is a family-owned and family-operated farm located in Wolcott, Indiana.
With 250+ years of generational farm experience and a passionate interest in gardening and growing delicious, high-quality produce, the Schleman family offers a fresh produce delivery service. Freedom Foods serves Battle Ground, Brookston, Lafayette, Monticello, Montmorenci, Remington, Reynolds, West Lafayette, and Wolcott, Indiana.